When something says "smothered" on the menu... I usually know it's 1.) delicious, 2.) high in fat. Therefore, I typically don't order things that way when eating out. But this recipe... it satisfies that spicy, smothered craving most deliciously without all the fat and carbs. It packs a flavorful punch, and anyone you make it for will be impressed!
Macros per serving: ( 6 F / 11 C / 34 P )
4 chicken breasts (1 lb.)
1 cup black beans
1 4 oz. can green chilis
2 tbsp. Reduced-fat cream cheese
4 slices reduced-fat pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix canned green chilis and reduced-fat cream cheese in a small bowl.
- Slice each chicken breast down the side, making a pocket, careful not to cut all the way through—stuff 1/4 of green chilis and cream cheese inside each chicken breast.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp: of cumin, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and paprika. Sprinkle spice mixture over chicken breasts and lightly rub in. Place one slice of pepper jack over each chicken breast and place in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- While baking the chicken, prepare black beans: place beans, cilantro, lime juice, and remaining cumin in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add water a tablespoon at a time if the mixture is too thick. Divide into four servings.
- Serve chicken over black beans and add any desired topping sauce, such as fresh pico or avocado. Enjoy!